Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Spreading Love, Helping Girls, and Inspiring Others

This is why I was put on this earth. This is why I wake up everyday. This is the focus of my business, ministry, and free time. In order to figure out my life's purpose I pray, and I read inspirational books. Jack Canfield, author of my current favorite book The Success Principles, explains my life's purpose exactly: "To humbly serve the Lord by being a loving, playful, powerful, and passionate example of the absolute joy that is available to us the moment we rejoice in God's gifts and sincere love and serve all of his creations."

I believe each person has a gift and a purpose in life (some have many). I love seeing people step out of their comfort zones and go for what they've been called to do! I especially love to see people use their lives to help people! I believe there is no better joy than to follow God's will and serve others. People used to think I was crazy for quitting my job and selling my house, but now they see how powerful the Lord is to have worked in me, and through me. It is not easy, but this is the most exciting journey I've ever been on!

Girls. Girls. Girls. They will change the future! I don't watch television, but luckily, I got to see a special episode of Oprah, on empowering women. I was completely moved and re-energized to stay focused on working to change lives. She told stories of several women who came from nothing, worked hard, believed, and made their dreams come true. She also featured the authors of a book called Half the Sky , which I'm planning on reading next. The book helps educate you to set goals and make a difference in the next big movement of our generation, empowering girls. Just one person can make a difference.

Why girls? It is the answer to global health. Many poor girls are forced to marry at young ages, extremely vulnerable to HIV, sexual violence, and physical exploitation. Many girls are seen as unworthy of investment or protection by their families. Isolated and unsupported, these girls have little voice to demand their rights. According to the Center For Global Development, women reinvest 90% of their income into their families and communities, so investing in girls equals investing in families and global change.

I suggest you do the research for yourself. Read the amazing websites I've listed here, and get inspired by joining the girleffect.org. I've been inspired and moved so much that I've created my own ministry called Soap for Hope. Our goals are to inspire and empower disadvantaged girls by teaching them life skills, entrepreneurship training, and offering them hope for a college education. We want to make a difference locally and globally, and believe ALL things are possible through Christ. I hope you will take the time to pray about sponsoring a woman, help fund micro loans, mentor someone in your community, buy a bar of soap, and empower yourself.

Love, hope, and peace to you all!