Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Planning Yet Abiding

In preparation for our flight to South Africa last summer, our pastor told us a joke: "How do you make God laugh? You make a plan." He was simply trying to say, go with the flow and don't get stressed out when things happen, because God is sovereign.

Now more than ever, plans seem to be an important part of life. Self employment means you have to be, do, talk, make, drive, or communicate practically 24/7. People look at me like I have all my ducks in a row and all the answers. Truthfully, all I have is faith that some how it will all get done, the clients will keep coming, and the checks will clear. Hardly ever do I freak out, because I have faith that God has a plan for me, and I'm walking the path He has set before me. But still, there is the dreaded 5 year plan people keep asking me about.

Humm...Will I still be making soap? Will I be married? Will I live in Tennessee? Will I have children (scary!) I don't know the answers, but I have big beautiful dreams of how it will look. Dreams have been good enough for me, but plans are important to the world, so God gave me a verse to hold on to. Proverbs 16 has many wise words, but here are the two most relevant. (16:3) "Commit your work to the Lord, and then your plans will succeed."
(16:8) "We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps."

Pretty cool right? I'm still a little confused, but I believe we can determine our own destiny! The future holds everything sweet and pure for those who are willing to abide in the Lord. I say bring it on! I like good things!

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter whether you are a dreamer or a planner. As long as you love what you are doing, you will be successful!